What are the best treatments offered by Varicose vein doctors in Illinois?
Feb 6, 2020
A top vein doctor describes how varicose veins must be treated, and outlines the best procedures offered by Varicose Vein doctors in Illinois.
Anyone who has varicose veins knows how annoying they can be. These twisty, bulging structures on your legs can look pretty unsightly, but besides that, they can cause throbbing pain and heavy, aching feet. So how do you get rid of them? Before you decide on the best method of fixing something, you need to know what is causing it in the first place. Read on to find out!
Varicose vein doctors in Illinois share: what causes varicose veins, anyway?
Although varicose veins appear as small to medium sized veins on your legs and thighs, the problem is not actually in these veins. The actual vein problem, called chronic venous insufficiency (CVS), stems from the largest superficial veins of your legs, called the saphenous veins. These veins carry a significant amount of blood back from the legs to your heart. This is a tough job, as these veins need to function against gravity. To prevent blood from tricking back down into the legs, these veins have valves, or one-way doors, which seal shut as the blood flows past. In CVS, however, these valves malfunction, and blood tends to pool in the leg veins instead of moving on to the heart. The excess blood forces its way into smaller veins, which bulge beneath your skin and appear as varicose veins. This is a deep problem, which can only be addressed at a reputed vein clinic.
So how exactly can you fix this problem?
Clearly, merely treating the existing visible varicose veins will not work – more pooled blood will just cause new varicose veins to form! For a permanent fix, you need to address the larger saphenous veins, where the defect actually lies. A decade ago, the only solution was to surgically remove the saphenous veins, through a process called vein stripping. Today, however, vein doctors use minimally invasive procedures, which are quick, comfortable, and require no recovery time. These procedures use different techniques to block up the saphenous veins. When the vein is sealed off, the blood finds its way to the deeper veins of the leg, and makes its way to the heart through this healthier route.
What techniques can my Varicose Vein doctor in Illinois use, to block up my leg veins?
There are several minimally invasive procedures available to address CVS. The most frequently used ones are:
- Radiofrequency ablation: The skin over the defective vein is numbed, and a tiny incision is made. Through this incision, a radiofrequency catheter is inserted into the saphenous vein under imaging guidance. Once within the vein, the catheter is activated. Heart from the catheter ‘melts’ the vein walls from within, sealing it off.
- Endovenous Laser ablation: This is almost the same as radiofrequency ablation, except that a laser fiber is used instead f a radiofrequency catheter. Laser energy is more intense, though, and you may find that this procedure is slightly more uncomfortable than radiofrequency ablation.
- VenaSeal: This is a new, advanced technique, that does not need skin numbing, or incisions! Medical grade glue is delivered directly into the saphenous vein through an injection. The glue causes the vein to seal off from within and harden.
- ClariVein: Under imaging guidance, a rotating catheter is inserted into the saphenous vein. This catheter carries sclerosant – a medicated solution that causes the vein walls to stick to each other and seal off. The rotating catheter evenly disperses sclerosant throughout the length of the vein, in all directions.
- Varithena: This method is meant to close off smaller varicose veins after the main veins have been blocked. This uses a foam based sclerosant, which is directly injected into the varicose vein. The foamy consistency helps the sclerosant spread throughout the vein.
- Standard sclerotherapy: This is used for tiny veins, like visible spider veins. Standard sclerosant is injected into the spider veins. This is purely cosmetic, and helps remove the tiniest of visible veins once all the larger veins have been sorted out.
With all the above procedures, the ‘blocked up’ vein becomes non-functional, and shrivels with time. Eventually, the body’s own digestive enzymes degrade the defunct vein and remove it from the body altogether. This ensures that your vein treatment solution is permanent!
The Vein Treatment Clinic: Offering state of the art vein care from some of the top Varicose Vein Doctors in Illinois!
The Vein Treatment Clinic offers all the above treatment options for varicose veins and spider veins. At VTC, our board certified doctors believe that each patient is unique, and we customize treatment plans for you based on your medical history and current vein health. VTC has been voted among the top vein clinics in patient reviews.
VTC in Illinois has on board some of the nation’s most skilled vein doctors, who work under the guidance of Dr. Caroline Novak. Dr. Novak, who graduated from Illinois’ finest medical school, Northwestern University, is diplomate certified in vein medicine, and is recognized for her advanced knowledge in vein imaging.
To fix an appointment with Dr. Novak or one of our other vein doctors in Illinois, call 855-673-2074, or book an appointment online.
Book a Consultation
Scheduling a consultation with one of our vein treatment experts is one of the best ways to determine the proper resolution for your varicose veins. The treatments can include sclerotherapy, laser or radiofrequency ablation, a medication called Varithena, or procedures such as Venaseal, or Clarivein.
Meet our Vein Specialists
Dr. Namrata Khimani
Venous specialist | Harvard Medical School
Dr. Khimani is a nationally recognized leader in the field of venous medicine. She is an expert in Spider Vein and Varicose Vein Treatment based in New York City. While Dr. Khimani treats a variety of patients experiencing varicose vein problems, she also sub-specializes in the treatment of vein disease in women, including those with pregnancy and post-pregnancy related spider and varicose veins.
If you have varicose veins and spider veins, suffer from leg cramps, leg swelling, or restless leg syndrome, come see Dr. Khimani at our Vein Treatment Center NYC. Most procedures are covered by major medical insurances, including Medicare. Call us and get verified today.
We’re preparing your estimate
We need a bit more information from you to provide an accurate estimate. Stay tuned, one of our team members will reach out to you shortly to ask you a few questions and provide you with an estimate based on your medical needs and insurance coverage.
In the meantime, learn more about vein disease, treatments and find you local experts below: