Advanced Minimally Invasive Vein Treatment at Your Vein Clinic in Wayne – A Vascular Surgeon Explains Why They Are the Best Option.
July 18, 2020
What exactly is minimally invasive vein treatment?
Anything that involves ‘cutting’ your skin open is called an invasive procedure. One would naturally assume that this is necessary to treat veins, which lie on the inside of your body. However, ‘minimally invasive’ procedures – as the name suggests, keep this process to a bare minimum. How, then, can the vein doctor look at your veins to treat them?
Well, the vein doctor uses an ‘indirect’ method of viewing – an ultrasound. Using this, the vein specialist can visualize exactly where the vein lies beneath your skin. The only invasion that occurs is a tiny needle puncture, through which the vein doctor inserts a flexible tube, called a catheter into your vein. Through this catheter, the vein doctor can manipulate the inside of your vein, and seal it off from within.
Why do experts consider minimally invasive vein treatment the best option?
Traditionally, vascular surgeons treated defective varicose veins by removing them surgically. This procedure – known as vein stripping, or ambulatory phlebectomy, involves cutting open the skin, stripping the vein from the underlying tissue, and removing it. Yes, that is definitely as painful as it sounds. Here is why most vein experts prefer minimally invasive procedures:
- For vein stripping, you will likely require spinal or general anesthesia, as it can be painful. However, for minimally invasive procedures, you only need simple numbing injections. The most advanced procedures available today do not even need these!
- Because you need advanced anesthesia, you will probably need additional laboratory tests and investigations before you can schedule vein stripping. Obviously, you would not need this with minimally invasive procedures!
- Vein stripping requires at least two or three weeks of recovery time before you can get back to your daily routine. In contrast, with minimally invasive procedures, you can get back to work almost immediately.
- Minimally invasive treatment is fast and convenient. You only need to show up just prior to your scheduled appointment, and the actual procedure takes less than an hour. You can leave immediately after the procedure. Some patients simply choose to have the procedure done over a lunch break!
What are the different kinds of minimally invasive vein treatment options available?
Depending on the technique chosen to shut down your defective varicose veins, there are several kinds of vein treatment.
- Radiofrequency ablation: This is the most popular minimally invasive treatment that has been tried and tested. In this method, radiofrequency waves are delivered through the catheter to the inside of the vein. These waves heat the vein from within, which causes the vein walls to melt, scar and eventually stick together.
- VenaSeal: This is the most advanced technique on the market. Its biggest advantage is that it does not need a numbing injection! Medical grade glue is directly injected into the defective vein. The glue eventually hardens, and blocks up the vein.
- ClariVein: this is another state of the art method that eliminates the numbing injection. A catheter with a rotating tip is inserted into the vein. Through the catheter, a medicated solution called sclerosant is delivered into the vein. Sclerosant is slightly irritating and causes the vein walls to become sticky and adhere to each other. The rotating tip ensures that the sclerosant is evenly distributed throughout the vein, in all directions.
- Endovenous laser ablation: This is very similar to radiofrequency ablation, except that the source of heat comes from laser energy rather than radiofrequency waves. Laser energy tends to cause higher temperatures, and can be more intense. This makes the procedure slightly more uncomfortable than radiofrequency ablation.
- Sclerotherapy and Varithena: These are procedures reserved for small spider veins and residual varicose veins. In sclerotherapy, sclerosant is directly injected into the tiny veins. Vaithena uses a foam based sclerosant, which can spread out to a larger area, and is therefore used for slightly larger veins.
Get high quality, advanced vein treatment at the Vein Treatment Clinic in Wayne!
The Vein Treatment Clinic, one of the leading vein clinics of America, has a state of the art vein treatment center right here in Wayne, Northern New Jersey.
The Vein Treatment Clinic in Wayne is conveniently located near William Patterson University. Easy to access by road, this vein center has plenty of parking. At our vein clinic in Wayne, you will meet Dr. Simon Smith, who is a renowned cardiovascular expert. Dr. Smith is board certified in Internal Medicine and Cardiovascular disease. He also has additional credentials in Vascular Ultrasound Interpretation, which gives him an edge in minimally invasive vein treatment.
In Northern New Jersey, VTC also has centers in Paramus and Clifton. Each of our centers has experienced, board certified vein doctors who are highly skilled in all types of minimally invasive vein treatment for varicose veins and spider veins. If you would like to book an appointment with our vein doctors at any of these locations, you can book an appointment online, or call 855-807-4936.
Book a Consultation
Scheduling a consultation with one of our vein treatment experts is one of the best ways to determine the proper resolution for your varicose veins. The treatments can include sclerotherapy, laser or radiofrequency ablation, a medication called Varithena, or procedures such as Venaseal, or Clarivein.
Meet our Vein Specialists
Dr. Namrata Khimani
Venous specialist | Harvard Medical School
Dr. Khimani is a nationally recognized leader in the field of venous medicine. She is an expert in Spider Vein and Varicose Vein Treatment based in New York City. While Dr. Khimani treats a variety of patients experiencing varicose vein problems, she also sub-specializes in the treatment of vein disease in women, including those with pregnancy and post-pregnancy related spider and varicose veins.
If you have varicose veins and spider veins, suffer from leg cramps, leg swelling, or restless leg syndrome, come see Dr. Khimani at our Vein Treatment Center NYC. Most procedures are covered by major medical insurances, including Medicare. Call us and get verified today.
We’re preparing your estimate
We need a bit more information from you to provide an accurate estimate. Stay tuned, one of our team members will reach out to you shortly to ask you a few questions and provide you with an estimate based on your medical needs and insurance coverage.
In the meantime, learn more about vein disease, treatments and find you local experts below:
Request an appointment
We are one of the top spider vein and varicose vein treatment centers in the Nation, offering the latest treatments and the most state of the art technology. Our vein treatment center sources the best vein doctors and specialists from around the world.
Covered by most insurances, including Medicare.
Enter your information below to get started
By emailing us or contacting us via web form, you are accepting the inherent privacy limitations of online communication. For more information about internet privacy, please read our Communication by Email/Text document. Please respond “stop” to text messages to opt out.