When you have varicose veins, they will be seen as large red and swollen veins in the legs – mainly the legs but they could appear in other places. Sometimes they take on the appearance of a rope as they are twisted and show through the skin. Varicose veins not only look unsightly, but can cause aches and pains. The legs may feel that they are hard to move, and it will be difficult to get comfortable whatever position you settle in. Along with this, there will be swelling to the ankles and feet and the legs may throb as the veins are not processing the blood correctly. If you have any of these venous insufficiency symptoms, you should research what can be done before the symptoms become severe.
How symptoms emerge
Night times are a particular problem as this is when there is likely to be cramps. In addition to the pain, there could be problems caused to the skin as it will become itchy and can start to flake. Once it begins to get thin, there is more of a risk that infection can set in. A vein doctor San Diego will be able to help, but don’t rush to visit them right away. It seems to be the case that the condition and certainly the symptoms become worse when the weather is warm. It also gets worse if you have to sit down or stand up for long periods of time. This can be a problem if you work in a job where you have to do either, but it will help a great deal if you are able to take a little time out and either move around or find a way to sit for a while. If it is possible to raise the legs for some time during the day, then there should be an increase in the relief that is felt. A varicose vein doctor San Diego will see this all of the time and there is not going to be anything they are not sure as to how to deal with.
Veins forming and home help
Sometimes you will find that it is possible to live with the issue and not have to visit the vein doctor San Diego. The first thing to do will be to use compression stockings as they are going to be able to put pressure on the veins. The reason the veins become varicose is through damage to the valves. The blood normally goes into the vein and the valve closes behind it and then the blood will be propelled through another vein and move further up the vein. When the vein is damaged, it no longer keeps the blood in place so that it can move up towards the heart. It pools in the vein and it is this that creates the bulging appearance.
It is at this stage that a varicose vein doctor San Diego should be contacted and you can begin to find out that the options will be several. It becomes worse as the blood cannot be contained in the vein and it will drop back down the leg. The blood is going to pool around the ankles and there can be swelling there as well. If not treated at this stage it can be serious and in the worst cases, an infection can set in. A vein doctor San Diego will be able to reassure you that this is not something that you are going to have to live with forever.
The Reasons Varicose Veins Form
Varicose veins will affect different people in different ways and there are reasons why they form. In some cases, it can be due to the lifestyle of the person who has them but in others, there is nothing that can be done to prevent them. Your varicose vein doctor San Diego will know all about this and will be able to give you a full explanation. The will also be able to give you advice as to what you can do to improve things. The reasons include:
- Gender – If you are a female, then there is a higher risk that you will get varicose veins than if you are a male.
- Weight –Excess weight can lead to the valves becoming damaged
- Pregnancy – A couple may not be much of a problem but if there are three or more, then the veins can be irreparably damaged. Your varicose vein doctor San Diego should let you know that this could happen and make suggestions as to what you can do to minimize the risk.
- Age – There is no hard and fast rule as to the age that they appear, but once you get to 50 there is the definite chance that you will start to notice them.
- Mobility – If you are not very mobile or mobile all the time, then it will be a reason for the veins to begin.
Treatment from a vein doctor San Diego
Normally, your varicose vein doctor San Diego will suggest that you wear compression stockings for around 6 months. It is likely that there will be various types tried as different strengths will be used for different levels of blood movement. Exercise will also be recommended, and they will want to give you a program as it could make matters worse if you just rush in and do too much. The three main ways the vein doctor San Diego will want to deal with the veins will be:
- Sclerotherapy – This is a system whereby the varicose vein doctor San Diego will send a special type of foam into the vein. It will go in via a small incision and it will lead to the vein closing up. When this happens, it is not possible for the blood to get back into it.
- Endothermal ablation –This time it is a laser that is used to seal up the vein. The heat will affect the walls of the vein and it will close up, again stopping blood getting into it.
- Stripping and ligation –This is where the veins are taken out of the body altogether. A vein doctor San Diego will be fully qualified to do this and will only carry out this procedure if they truly believe that less invasive treatments will not be enough.
There is nothing to worry about when the veins are no longer in use as they will just find another vein to use. The blood will still be able to move around the body. Your vein doctor San Diego should explain all the options before you make a decision. You should clearly take the view of your varicose vein doctor San Diego into account, although should not be afraid to make your point of view known. When going forward for this treatment, it will be worth checking if there will be any financial input from your insurance company. If you want the work to be carried out because you don’t like the look of the veins, it is possible that you will have to pay yourself. If your varicose vein doctor San Diego says there are medical issues, then that will be a different matter altogether.
Preventing varicose veins
When you see a varicose vein doctor San Diego, they are likely to tell you that there is little they can do to stop you getting varicose veins. There are clearly slight advantages you can give yourself such as staying at a good weight, but that will not be enough if the valves start to fail. There are certain things that you can do to prevent them from getting worse and that will be where weight comes in. Less pressure should mean less pain. Resting is also good and if you can raise your feet even for a short period each day, you should find that you get some relief. It may seem strange, but exercise can help as well. A varicose vein doctor San Diego will be able to explain that this will help the blood circulate and also help with weight.
Types of varicose veins
Not all varicose veins are the same and as a result they will not all appear the same and it is unlikely that they will develop in the same way. They are:
- Trunk varicose veins – You will see these clearly as they are close to the surface of the skin. They are also going to be thick and are not going to look nice. These are the veins that appear knobbly and tend to be longer than many others. A varicose vein doctor San Diego will want to treat these veins.
- Telangiectasia veins –This is the name given to the veins that are normally known as spider veins. They are smaller than normal varicose veins and can often be seen on the face as well as the legs. They are not as easy to see and cause fewer problems than trunk veins.
- Reticular varicose veins –These veins will show as red and seem to be joined together rather than be varicose veins on their own. Your vein doctor San Diego will explain how to treat them.
Visiting the Vein Doctor San Diego
You may come to the conclusion that the stockings are not helping a great deal and that it will be best to see a vein doctor San Diego. The time to do this will be different for all people but each one will have an issue that they cannot deal with.
- As soon as the veins become painful and especially if they are affecting your daily life, you should make an appointment with the doctor.
- When the skin become irritated, it will be easy to scratch it; but, if it can be left, there will be less of a problem.
- If sleep is affected and you are not able to sleep due to the pain.
The varicose vein doctor San Diego will want to make sure that they are going to provide the correct treatment; so, they will want to carry out a physical examination as well as ask you a lot about the issues you may have had in the past. It is important that all questions are answered correctly, as failure to do this could lead to an incorrect diagnosis and the treatment provided will not be the treatment needed. Dr Billy Schoenfeld is considered to be an excellent doctor and is treating patients in Southern California. He trained at Harvard and his residency was in the University of California. Once he was qualified, he took to dealing with some incredibly sick patients and here his experience in Anestheriology and Critical Care proved to be invaluable.
Finding a good vein doctor San Diego
Doctor Schoenfeld also has a high level of training around venous access and ultrasound and is considered to be a specialist when it comes to dealing with varicose veins and venous insufficiency He is the vein doctor San Diego that you will be lucky to have treat you. Another doctor who will have the expertise necessary to deal with even the most severe varicose veins is Dr. Carly Guthrie. Having trained at Harvard, Dr. Guthrie also carried out her residency there at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital. When treating patients, Dr. Guthrie is able to use many forms of treatment including sclerotherapy and radiofrequency ablation. She is also looking for new methods and is an expert of the VenaSeal method of treatment.
Clearly, if you live in San Diego you will be in good hands if you find that you need treatment for varicose veins. Your journey can go from help at home to non-invasive practices through to complete removal, and even the chance to undergo the latest forms of treatment. There is nothing to be worried about if it is decided that treatment is needed and after most sessions you will feel as good as new within a day or two. Sometimes a few sessions are needed, but they are easy to endure.